Hesaru kalu saaru or sprouts sambar recipe explained with step by step pictures and a video. Easy and tasty sambar recipe prepared using molake hesaru kalu or green gram sprouts. This hesarukalu saru or moong sprouts gravy can be served as an accompaniment with ragi mudde or rice. This is a very popular gravy recipe from Karnataka.
I have shared few more similar gravy recipes on this website which can be served with either rice or ragi mudde. Kindly have a look on tasty upsaaru, huruli kalu bassaru, bassaru, upsaaru, kadle kalu saaru and sabsige soppu saaru recipes.
Green gram sprouts or molake kattida hesarukalu is very good for health. You can find hesarukalu usli or green gram sundal, green gram sprouts salad and hesarukalu gojju or green gram curry on this website.
I have used ginger, garlic and onion in this recipe. However if you don't like adding them, you can replace it with 1/4 tsp of asafoetida. But add asafoetida while tempering. This is a very easy recipe, you can serve this as an accompaniment with chapathi by adding less water.
Also you can find many green gram dal (hesaru bele) recipes like bili saaru, gram salad (hesaru bele kosambari), hesarubele saaru or mung dal rasam and green gram dal payasa (hesaru bele payasa) recipes.
If you are looking for more gravy recipes then do check my ragi mudde, Majjige huli, yellow cucumber sambar, tomato rasam, shunti thambuli, menthe huli, upsaaru and bendekai sambar recipes.
I have made a video on this recipe with Kannada narration, which I have embedded it below. Kindly have a look.
Hesaru kalu saaru recipe
Preparation time: 5 hours
Cooking time: 30 min
Main Ingredients: (measuring cup used = 240ml)
- 1 cup green gram sprouts or molake hesarukalu
- 1 small potato (optional; or can be replaced with any other vegetable)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 big tomato chopped
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- A small marble sized tamarind (optional)
- A small marble sized jaggery (optional)
- Salt as per your taste
Ingredients for grinding: (measuring cup used = 240ml)
- 1 - 2 red chili
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 - 3 cloves of garlic
- 1cm length ginger
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 finger length cinnamon
- 4 cloves
Ingredients for tempering the gravy or rasam:
- 1 red chili
- 5 - 6 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cooking oil
Instructions for making hesaru kalu saaru:
- I have used one cup of green gram sprouts. You can make this at home by soaking 1/2 cup of green gram. Refer description part for the method.
- I have also used one small potato, which is optional. You can also replace potato with any other vegetable..
- Now to beginwith we need to grind the masala. For that take all the ingredients listed under "for grinding" (ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chili and coconut)
- Grind it into a smooth paste using mixer grinder. Keep it aside.
- Next heat 2 tsp of oil in a pressure cooker. Add in sliced onion and fry until slight color change.
- add in tomato and fry until soft.
- Followed by add in green gram sprouts and potato. Fry them for a minute under high flame.
- Add in turmeric powder and continue frying for a minute under high flame.
- Next add in ground masala paste and fry for 2 minutes or until raw smell is gone. I have added around 1/2 cup of water.
- Add in 1/2 cup of water and coriander leaves. When it starts boiling, give a quick mix.
- Close the lid and cook the vegetables and sprouts by making just one whistle.
- Open the lid once the pressure subsides.
- Add in a cup of water.
- Also add in salt, tamarind and jaggery as per your taste.
- Bring it to boil and switch off the stove. Optionally you can sprinkle some more coriander leaves.
- Temeper it with oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chili. Serve hot with ragi mudde or rice.
Dear reader, We have a Kannada version of this recipe. Click here to read this recipe in Kannada.