Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 30 min
Ingredients: (measuring cup used = 240ml)
- 1 cup rice (I use sona masuri)
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 1 small potato
- 8-10 beans
- 1 knol khol (kohlrabi) / 2 cabbage leaves / few cauliflower florets
- 1/2 capsicum (optional)
- 1/4 cup soaked or fresh green peas
- 1/2 cup chopped methi leaves (optional)
- 2 big onions
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- whole spices (star Anise, bay leaf, stone flower)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- 8-10 tsp cooking oil / Ghee
- 2 cups water (depends on rice quality)
- 2 tsp salt (or as per your taste)
Ingredients for grinding: (measuring cup used = 240ml)
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2cm length ginger
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds or 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1-2 green chili
- 1 finger length cinnamon
- 8-10 cloves
- 1 cardamom
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp pudina leaves (optional)
- 1/2 cup water for grinding
Instructions for making vegetable pulao:
- To begin with rinse one cup of rice and keep it aside.
- Take all the ingredients listed under "for grinding" and make a coarse paste using 1/2 cup of water.
- Wash and cut all the vegetables, tomato, onion and methi leaves.
- Take a pressure cooker (5 ltr or more), add in oil or ghee and switch on the stove. Next add in cumin seeds and spices (star anise, bay leaf and stone flower). Please note I have added only star anise as I didn't have bay leaf and stone flower with me. When cumin seed splutters add in chopped onions.
- When onions are soft add in chopped tomatoes, fry for a minute and add in chopped methi leaves. Again fry for a minute.
- Next add in chopped vegetables, fry for 5 minutes under medium flame. Then add in ground masala, tumeric powder and fry for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add in 1 cup of rinsed rice. Give a quick stir and add in 2 cups of water (little more or less depending on rice quality).
- Add in salt and mix well. Close the lid and make 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure subsides, open the lid and mix carefully. Serve hot with mosaru bajji or salad.
Dear reader, We have a Kannada version of this recipe. Click here to read this recipe in Kannada.